Kefalonia is the largest and one of the most appealing islands of the Ionian cluster. Ideal for serene and peaceful vacations, the beauty of the unparalleled landscape of Kefalonia shall definitely bedazzle you as the pure natural beauty is delineated all over the scenery. At the same time, the remains of an ancient civilization create an enigmatic and interesting atmosphere that in combination with the unique mentality of the inhabitants compose an amalgam of excellence.
Kefalonia is the largest of the Ionian Islands that lie in the heart of the Ionian Sea and it is located between the island of Lefkada (on the northern part) and the island of Zakynthos (on the southern part), at a very close distance to the island of Ithaca.
- AREA: 781 sq.km
- POPULATION: 32.500
- CAPITAL: Argostoli
The island of Kefalonia has a very peculiar morphology as it pulses with enigmatic caves, strange rocks, wooded slopes, silver coasts and dominating mounts.
During the summer time, which is regarded as the high season of the island, Kefalonia becomes a tourist center that attracts visitors from all over the world.
ATTRACTIONS / SIGHTS
- The bridge of Drapano, the sinkholes, the lighthouse of Agioi Theodori, the monastery of Agios Andreas and the mountain Enos, at Argostoli.
- The monastery of Panagia Thematon at Agia Efimia.
- The Venetian castle and the wall as well as the church of Prophet Elias at Assos.
- The monastery of Panagia Sission, the church of Agia Marina and the villages Markopoulo, Mousata and Eliou at Vlahata.
- The castle Paleokastro, the house of Laskaratos, the monasteries of Panagia Kehrionos, Panagia Koronatou, Agias Paraskevis, Kipoureon and Tafion and the region Kondogenada at Lixouri.
- The church of Agia Paraskevi at Lourdata.
- The monastery of Panagia Atrou and the Cyclopean walls at Poros.
- The church of Agis Spiridonas, the Roman bath, the monastery of Panagia Agrilion and the ancient town at Sami.
- The church of Panagia, the villages Lakithra and Kourkoumelata and the Venetian fortress of Agios Georgios at Svoronata.
- The ruins of the Roman mansion, the ruins of the Doric sanctuary of Apollonas and the settlement Paleo Horio at Skala.
- The ruins of the Paleochristian Basilica, the monastery of Panagia Platitera, the church of Agios Gerasimos and the ancient stone baths at Fiskardo.
- The Archaeological museum, the Korgilanios library and the collection of Byzantine icons at Argostoli.
- The Municipal library and the archaeological collection at Lixouri.
- The lagoon Koutavos and the cave of Agios Gerasimos at Argostoli.
- The famous Kounopetra and the cave Drakospilia at Lixouri.
- The fountain Karavomylos and the caves Zervati, Melissani, Drogarati, Aggalaki at Sami.
- The cave Sakos at Skala.
- The caves at Fiskardo.
SPORTS / RECREATION
If you have a boat you will be able to visit all the coasts of Kefalonia or the neighboring island of Ithaca. You can wharf at the marinas of Fiskardo, Sami, Argostoli, Agia Efimia, Lixouri and Poros.
At the island of Kefalonia you shall find numerous traditional taverns, restaurants, cafeterias and bars for your entertainment.
- The theatrical festival on July the 15th, the celebration of the union of Eptanissa with Greece on May the 21st, the cultural events during summer time and the litany of Agios Gerasimos on August the 16th and October the 20th, at Argostoli.
- The festival of Panagia on August the 15th at Agia Efimia, Lixouri and Assos.
- The cultural events on summer at Poros.
- The festival of Panagia Agrilion on August the 23rd at Sami.
- The festival of Agios Gerasimos on August the 16th, the carnival, the Shrove Monday, the Celebration of May the 1st and the athletic happenings during the summer time at Skala.
- The festival of Panagia on September the 8th at Fiskardo.
At the island of Kefalonia you can buy thyme honey, wine the famous ROBOLA, cheese products, must-cakes, cookies with aniseed and perfume from the pine trees of the Enos Mountain.
MAJOR TOWNS / CITIES / VILLAGES
Argostoli is the capital of the island of Kefalonia and it is an ideal resort for holidays. After the earthquake 1953, the town was rebuilt and now it has spacious squares and large municipal buildings that follow the traditional architectural order, creating a beautiful icon.
Lixouri is the second largest town of Kefalonia and it is built at a close distance to the site of the ancient town Palis. Nowadays, Lixouri is a modern town with new buildings, broad streets and commodious squares.
Sami is the largest port of the island of Kefalonia. The clean and broad roads, the beautiful waterfront and the elegant buildings in combination with the natural beauties, the interesting sinkholes and the archaeological sites, compose a very attractive icon and that is way Sami is a popular tourist resort.
Fiskardo is a traditional settlement with intense tourist lifestyle. Built in the inside of a bay, Fiskardo is considered to be a town of superb natural beauty.
Agia Efimia is coastal village that comprises of numerous other settlements such as Makriotika, Potamianata, Divarata, Drakopoulata and Feredinata. Due to the crystal clear beaches and the natural beauties, the village is a becoming a popular tourist resort.
Poros is the main port and one of the most popular regions of the island of Kefalonia. Situated at a very preferential site, the settlement of Poros is an attractive tourist center.